Mason Jar Soap Dispenser with Crochet Owl Cozy
It’s a hoot making this mason jar soap dispenser with crochet owl cozy! This woodland creature makes washing hands fun. Those great big eyes won’t miss a thing.
Dirty hands can spread germs. So take a few squirts of soap from this wise owl and wash that grime away.
This fun soap dispenser is great for bathrooms or kitchens. Crochet the cozy in colors that coordinate with your home décor.
Let’s start with the mason jar soap dispenser…and get our hands clean before we start on the crochet owl.
Mason Jar Soap Dispenser How-to
We’re taking the easy way out…and creating a mason jar soap dispenser from an existing soap dispenser. Its best if you select your yarn colors first…then you can bring them to the store to help select a dispenser pump in a color that will coordinate well.
- 1 pint size canning jar with lid
- 16 oz liquid soap
- 1 soap dispenser (we used Softsoap® brand)
- Knife and cutting board
- ½” drill bit and drill
- Scrap wood
- Paper, pencil and Scissors
- Hammer and nail
- Metal file
- Glue Gun
- Trace the flat lid on a piece of paper. Cut out the circle you just traced with scissors. Fold the paper in half twice to find the center of the paper.
- Place the paper on top of the lid and clamp to a piece of scrap wood. With hammer and nail, put a small hole in the center of the lid.
- Remove the paper and reclamp the lid to the scrap wood. Drill a ½ inch hole into the center of the lid. You may need to move the drill around a bit to make the hole slightly bigger than ½ inch.
- If there are any sharp edges around the hole, sand down with a metal file.
- Remove the pump from its original dispenser and wash and dry it. Test to see if it fits into the hole in the lid. If not, repeat steps 3 & 4 as needed.
- Place lids and pump onto jar to make sure the parts fit. If the pump is too tall, cut the base of the stem off at the same angle using a knife and cutting board. You only want to cut off as much as needed to get the stem to almost touch the base of the mason jar.
- You may need to secure the pump to the lid. To do so, insert pump into lid and turn to the bottom side. Use glue gun to adhere pump to lid.
- Pour liquid soap into mason jar. Attach lid. Pump the dispenser several times until soap starts to come out of it.
- Wash hands…you’re good to go!
Mason Jar Soap Dispenser Owl Cozy
So you’ve finished your mason jar soap dispenser. Now it’s time for the crochet owl cozy!
This is a fun little project that you can whip up in an evening. It’s a great stash buster, too. We used Vanna’s Choice because she’s got so many fun colors that work beautifully for a girl or boys room.
- Vanna’s Choice Yarn: Worsted Weight (4)
Chocolate, Terracotta, Mustard, Black, White
(other combos: Chocolate with Beige; Radiant Lime with Raspberry)
- Crochet Hook: J / 10 / 6.00 mm
- Crochet Hook: H / 8 / 5. 00 mm
- Crochet Hook: F / 5 / 3.75 mm
- Yarn Needle
Ch 32, join with a sl st.
Rnd 1: Ch 1 (do not count as a st), hdc around. Skip the ch 1; join with a sl st. (32)
Rnd 2-3: Ch 1, hdc around. Skip the joining stitch and the ch 1, join with a sl st. (32)
Finish off. Cut yarn; weave in end.
Attach Terracotta to the back loop of any stitch.
Rnd 4: Work in back loops only. Ch 1, hdc around. Skip the ch 1, join with a sl st. (32)
Rnd 5-6: Work in both loops. Ch 1, hdc around. Skip the join and the ch 1, join with a sl st. (32)
Finish off, weave in end.
WING INSTRUCTIONS (make 2):
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook (count first three ch as the first dc), 4 dc. (6)
Row 2: Turn. 5 dc down the post of the 3rd dc, ch 1, 5 dc up the post of the next dc, skip a dc, sl st in the top of the last st. (1 crocodile stitch made)
Finish of, weave in end.
Attach Terracotta to the last st made.
Row 3: Ch 4, turn. Dc in 4th ch from hook, work 6 dc across the top of Row 2, work a ncfdc in the last st, 2 nfdc. (11)
Row 4: Work 5 dc down the post of the 3rd dc, ch 1, work 5 dc up the post of the next dc, skip a st, sl st in the front loop of the next st, skip a st, 5 dc down the post of the next st, ch 1, work 5 dc up the post of the next st, skip a st, sl st in the last st. (2 crocodile stitches made)
Row 5: Ch 3, turn. Work 10 dc across. (11)
Row 6: Repeat row 4.
Finish off leaving a long tail for sewing.
EYES INSTRUCTIONS (make 2):
Rnd 1: 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Join with a sl st. (6)
Finish off, weave in end.
Attach Terracotta any stitch.
Rnd 2: Sc inc around. Join with a sl st. (12)
Finish off, weave in ends.
Attach White to any st.
Rnd 3: *Hdc, Hdc inc* around. Join with a sl st. (18)
Finish off leaving a tail for sewing.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, 2 sc. (3)
Row 2: Turn, sc the first and second stitches together, sc the second and third stitch together. (2)
Row 3: Turn, sc dec. Finish off. Cut yarn leaving a tail for sewing. (1)
Turn the foundation ch down under the beak.
- Sew Eyes on Rnds 2-4 so they are touching or as desired. Weave in ends.
- Sew Beak centered below and touching the Eyes.
- Sew Wings just above the unused front loops. Sew up to the stitch next to the Eyes and 8 other stitches. There should be about 5 or 6 unused loops in the back between the Wings.
More Cozies in Store
Love this owl jar cozy? There are more seasonal, holiday and just for fun cozies in the store. We’ve created an entire collection with over 20 designs. All 20 are available in 1 set including the owl Cozy.
Read more about the set:
Store: Coffee Cup Cozy Collection