Twins Face Off – Crochet Design Challenge
We’re a bit competitive. We enjoy how competition stretches our imagination and challenges us to think creatively and strategically. We aren’t sore losers. We are genuinely happy when other people’s skills best our own. But we’re out to win, none the less. With that in mind, we created Twins Face Off, a monthly design challenge between the two of us.
Read about the current and previous Twins Face Off design challenges.
What is Twins Face Off
A design challenge (usually crochet) between twin sisters Dana Bincer and Deborah Bagley in which criteria is established and the twins are tasked to come up with the best design they can. The public is asked to vote for the design they like better…without knowing which twin designed which item. They can also enter a giveaway of the yarn and patterns.
Criteria usually involves:
- A limited time to crochet – usually 3 weeks.
- A limited amount of yarn – provided by sponsor
- A specific theme – decided by sponsor, yarn shop or the twins
Schedule of Twins Face Off
Usually the challenge runs for one month with events starting on Tuesdays.
- Week 1: Announce Yarn and Sponsor
- Week 2: Sneak Peek Photos of Projects and Category Announced
- Week 3: Vote and Giveaway Open to Public
- Week 4: Winners in Challenge and Giveaway Announced
- Week 4: Review of Yarn
- Week 4: Behind the Scenes Look of Winning Design
How Others Participate in Twins Face Off
There are usually two ways for people to participate:
- Vote on the design they like better within a specified time period – usually a week.
Vote takes place on the blog.
- Enter giveaway to win the yarn used in the challenge and a copy of the patterns created.
1st Place wins yarn and patterns. 2nd Place wins patterns.
Giveaway takes place on the blog.
Join our eNewsletter to receive notices about the Twins Face Off and other Yarnovations news. (no spam, just news from the twins.)
How Yarn Companies Participate in Twins Face Off
We love working with yarn companies.
- They provide yarn used by the twins as well as for the 1st place prize in the giveaway.
- At the end of the challenge, the twins write a review of the yarn with links to the yarn company’s website.
- The patterns created in the challenge are available online at Yarnovations.com, Ravelry, Etsy and Craftsy.
- We advertise the yarn company and yarn line used in the challenge throughout the month (usually weekly) of the challenge in newsletters, on the blog and in social media as it relates to the schedule listed above.
How Yarn Shops Participate in Twins Face Off
We love independent yarn shops and are happy to coordinate challenges with them.
- They may help select a yarn for the challenge.
- They advertise the challenge to their customers and their shop is highlighted on Yarnovations blog as being a sponsor.
- They may run a second giveaway at their shop and/or link to the challenge at Yarnovations.com.
- The crocheted projects will be displayed at their shop for a designated period of time.
- They receive a copy of the pattern to give away to their 1st and 2nd place prize winners.
- They receive a copy of the pattern to give away with purchase of the yarn at their shop for a designated period of time.
- We advertise the yarn shop throughout the month (usually weekly) of the challenge in newsletters, on the blog and in social media as it relates to the schedule listed above.